What is the DoCSoc Software Foundation?
Welcome to the DoCSoc Software Foundation, a hub of open source repositories from Imperial's Computing Society aimed at getting more people in university into Open Source. If you are feeling lost, don’t worry, we have written the following few points to get you up to speed as quickly as possible. Of course if something is not clear, feel free to reach out to anyone. We are all very excited to see your contributions, see you in the
Getting Started with Open Source Development
- Open source doesn’t imply the software is free of charge.
- Most (all of ours) Open Source projects use git for managing their source code. If you are unsure about your git skills, GitHub has an amazing guide.
- Building open source utilities are usually done in three steps
- Configure: Prepare the source code for your system
- Build: Compile the source code
- Install: Install the final product
- DoCSoc SF uses Github Issues and Pull Requests to track bugs, features and manage contributions, other Open Source projects use mailing lists (i.e., the Linux kernel).
- You can help build this website too! Go to the repo to find an open issue or add something new.